2018 Withrow Park Ball Hockey League Youth Registration.
Included below is information on the upcoming 2018 Withrow Park Ball Hockey League season.
- REGISTRATION FOR RETURNING PLAYERS (ALL YOUTH DIVISIONS) OPENS ON SATURDAY, JANUARY 13 AT 8 AM
- REGISTRATION FOR NEW PLAYERS (ALL YOUTH DIVISIONS) OPENS ON SATURDAY, JANUARY 27 AT 8AM. IF YOUR CHILD DID NOT PLAY IN THE LEAGUE IN 2017, S/HE IS CONSIDERED TO BE A NEW PLAYER.
- REGISTRATION FOR ADULT DIVISIONS WILL BEGIN AT 8 AM ON FEBRUARY 5 FOR RETURNING PLAYERS AND 8 AM ON FEBRUARY 20 FOR NEW PLAYERS.
Registration will be on-line, via a link available on our website. You will need a valid VISA, MasterCard or debit card (Interac) to register. We do not accept cheques.
Season Duration and Game Locations
- As in prior years, the 2018 youths’ season will run from early April to the end of June.
- Games will be played on the outdoor rinks at Riverdale Park East (off Broadview, south of Danforth) and at Jimmie Simpson Community Centre (Queen St. E and Booth Ave.)
In 2018, we are offering the following divisions:
- Mite (2012, 2013, and 2014 YOB). Games on Saturday and Sunday mornings at Riverdale Park East. Two games are played on the rink at once, across the width of the rink.
- Tyke (2010 and 2011 YOB). Games on Saturdays at Jimmie Simpson and Sundays at Riverdale.
- Novice (2008 and 2009 YOB). Games on Saturdays at Jimmie Simpson and Sundays at Riverdale.
- Atom (2006 and 2007 YOB). Games on Friday or Saturday and Sunday or Monday nights at either Jimmie Simpson or Riverdale.
- Peewee (2004 and 2005 YOB). Games on Tuesday or Wednesday and Friday or Saturday nights at either Jimmie Simpson or Riverdale.
- Bantam (2002 and 2003 YOB). Games on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights at either Jimmie Simpson or Riverdale.
- Junior (1999, 2000, and 2001 YOB). Games on Monday and/or Thursday nights at either Jimmie Simpson or Riverdale.
- Girls Tyke (2010 and 2011 YOB). Games on Saturdays at Riverdale and Sundays at Jimmie Simpson.
- Girls Novice (2008 and 2009 YOB). Games on Saturdays at Riverdale and Sundays at Jimmie Simpson.
- Girls Atom (2006 and 2007 YOB). Games on Saturdays at Riverdale and Sundays at Jimmie Simpson.
- Girls Peewee (2004 and 2005 YOB). Games on Saturdays at Riverdale and Sundays at Jimmie Simpson.
- Girls High School (2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 YOB). Games on Saturdays at Riverdale and/or Sundays at Jimmie Simpson and/or possibly some weeknight games.
As the end of the season nears it may be necessary to play additional games. All teams play at different times/dates every week. There are no teams in any division that only play certain days/times. The above times are tentative and subject to change.
Again this season, it is expected several divisions will be filled very early. Returning players in all divisions EXCEPT Bantam and Junior are guaranteed team placement if they are registered prior to January 27. Returning players in Bantam and Junior are NOT guaranteed team placement. Registration for returning players in those divisions is on a first come, first served basis.
$130.00 for both returning and new players.
Co-ed and Girls Division Rules
- The co-ed youth division is open to both boys and girls.
- The girls division is open to girls only.
- Non-contact in all divisions. No slap shots in Mite, Tyke, and Novice.
- Hockey gloves, CSA approved helmets, non-plastic hockey sticks are mandatory on the rink at all times.
- Shin guards for all divisions from Mite to Junior are mandatory again this year.
- Elbow pads and jocks are recommended equipment.
- Equipment for goalies is provided. Goalies do require their own helmet.
- Please note that the non-CSA approved street-hockey style goalie helmets are not permitted.
- CSA certified helmets are mandatory.
How to Register
- As a returning player you will be required to use last year’s e-mail to register. If you have changed e-mail addresses, please contact us by email.
- Returning players in all divisions EXCEPT Bantam and Junior are guaranteed team placement if they are registered prior to January 27th.
- Returning players in Bantam and Junior are NOT guaranteed team placement. Registration for returning players in those divisions is on a first come, first served basis
- New players will be required to create a new family account and/or player profile prior to registering.
All players are put on a waiting list until confirmation of payment and acceptance into the League. Payment does not constitute acceptance.
Once a division fills up, a limited waiting list will be put into place. In order to have a confirmed position on the waiting list the participant must be registered using our online registration system (no registration fee is charged for placement on the waiting list).
Once teams have been selected some players may be traded in an attempt to equalize team strength. Team equalization will be done at the discretion of the division convenor and head coaches. Please see the Equalization section on our website for more details on this policy
Our refund policy is as follows:
Refunds will be offered only if the request is received in writing. Please send your request to us by email.
- After registration and up to and including two weeks into season - refund minus non-refundable administration fee.
- After the second week of the season – no refund except in hardship cases (injuries, etc.) and refund will be prorated to games played and minus non-refundable administration fee.
- Coaches will be selected in March. All players will be contacted by their coaches prior to the start of the season
- Playoffs will be scheduled as required.
- Each player will receive a team sweater, a team and an individual photograph and a memento of the season.
For players who are interested in a more competitive environment, we offer an all-star program, involving try-outs and additional practices, with the all-star teams playing in tournaments (as available), exhibition games and the provincial minor ball hockey championships in July. Extra fees are applicable for the all-star program.
We do our best but cannot accept and accommodate everybody.
We're Looking for a New Operations Manager
Staff position provides the organization to keep WPBHL running smoothly
Please help us find our next League Administrator/Operations Manager. This is an important role in the league, providing the day-to-day oversight and scheduling of rinks and staff, managing the schedule and working with the volunteer board to continue making the best community league in the city a reality.
This is one or possibly two paid contract positions, or possibly two part-time contract positions. Hours are flexible with the administrative duties running from January to October. This role would be good for someone with a few free hours during the day. The operations duties run primarily from April to June and would be good for someone with a few free hours during weekends and the occasional hour on evenings. Our preference is to find someone who will ideally stay in the role for several years.
After two years in the role our current Operations Manager is moving out of the city with her family.
We will be filling the role shortly as we get ready for the 2018 season. Please forward this to anyone you think would be a good fit.
Get a full job description by clicking here.
Please contact email@example.com for more information or to apply.
Withrow's U19 comes up on top.
Congratulations to the Withrow U19 team beating out all other provinces to become 2017 Canadian National Champions. Tournament was held in July in Kitchener. As a result of their win, 5 Withrow U19 players will qualify to represent Canada at the next World Championships. Best of Luck boys. A big thanks to all coaching and support staff.
The Withrow Project - May 28th Special Event
The Withrow Project has the following objectives.
- To make Withrow Park the most spectacular outdoor ball hockey venue in Canada.
- To enjoy a great day in Withrow Park on May 28th, full of wonderful food, live music, and fun activities to commemorate the Taber Family and celebrate life in our community.
- Every WPBHL family is encouraged to attend the event on May 28th and every player to participate in the fundraising effort leading to upgrade the City of Toronto's project to renew the Withrow rink.
Every dollar raised by players in the WPBHL will be directed towards upgrades and improvements to the ball hockey facilities at Withrow Park.
For information regarding the Taber Family Foundation: https://www.taberfamilyfoundation.ca
To access our fundraising site: http://raiseathon.ca/taberfamily
For information regarding our fundraising: click here to download the info sheet.
All Of WPBHL Now With OBHF
Youths join Men and Women as part of Ontario Ball Hockey Federation
WPBHL executive have approved a move from the Ontario Ball Hockey Association (OBHA) to the Ontario Ball Hockey Federation (OBHF). Players and parents in our regular youth house leagues will see little to no change in how we operate. The OBHF provides identical services to their member leagues, such as insurance, game sheets and balls. Referees will now be certified by OBHF rather than OBHA.
Our all-star program will be more affected. As part of our association with the OBHF, Withrow Park has the opportunity to send teams to the Canadian Ball Hockey Association Junior National Championships. As well, Withrow will send all-star teams to the OBHF Provincial Championships in all divisions that are offered.